LL.B., DipCS - Partner
- E:[email protected]
- T:04 570 4184
- M:021 034 0711
Michael heads our specialist residential conveyancing division HomeLegal. He also acts for a wide range of private clients specialising in commercial leasing acting for clients with properties throughout the country. Michael has several years’ experience in private banking in Switzerland and has worked in the IT industry as a database designer in Canada.
Michael Q and A
1. How would you describe your style of law/practice or your approach to dealing with clients?
Solution focused. I want to find a solution that meets the client’s needs, is cost effective and pragmatic.
2. If you had a single piece of advice to give a person in relation to commercial law what would it be?
Get advice from your lawyer as early as possible and certainly before you sign any legal documentation.
3. What has had the biggest impact on how you practice law over recent years?
Experience. Each new problem and each solution shapes how I deal with the next problem.
4. When you are not being a lawyer what do you like doing most?
Coaching my son’s football team. It has been the most rewarding experience to see each member of his team grow in skills and maturity.
5. Who gave you the best piece of advice in relation to your legal career and what was it?
One of my partners reminded me early in my career that unless the sky really was falling there is always a solution to be found if a bit of time is given to considering the problem. I have often come back to this advice when a problem has seemed initially insurmountable.
6. What is your favourite quote?
The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. Fences have nothing to do with it. The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass wherever you may go.
7. What would you be doing if you weren’t a lawyer?
I find it hard to imagine what I would do if I was not a lawyer as I find the work tremendously rewarding and very much my identity. If I wasn’t a lawyer I would probably like to be working with VSA in some far flung part of the world.